Compassionate MI Divorce Lawyer Provides Sound Guidance and Advice
Dedicated attorney helps individuals in Southeast michigan with custody, property division and more
Divorce is never easy, even when both partners agree that it's the right decision. The dissolution of a marriage involves crucial decisions about how your shared property will be divided and how your children will be cared for. At the Law Offices of Matthew A. Courter, P.L.C., my goal is to help clients in Washtenaw, Livingston and Wayne counties, get through the divorce process without added stress or difficulty. My knowledge of Michigan law and local practices enables me to provide advice on all aspects of divorce, and to address any questions or concerns you may have.
Committed advocate strives for fair support and property arrangements
At the Law Offices of Matthew A. Courter, P.L.C., I will work to develop the best possible solutions for all aspects of your divorce, which may include:
- Child custody and Parenting Time — Court orders determine where your child will live, how parenting time will be split and to what degree each parent gets to make decisions about their child's life. I will work to ensure your parental rights are protected and respected while advocating for your children’s welfare.
- Child support — A number of factors are used to calculate child support payments, from each parent's income to each child's particular needs. I will seek an order that’s fair to all parties.
- Distribution of property — The division of your home, retirement benefits and other assets depends on a wide array of factors that vary with each individual case. I will help you seek a fair division of the marital estate that takes into account your unique circumstances.
- Division of marital debts — Both spouses may be accountable for debts accrued by the couple, or one partner may be found to be more responsible.
- Spousal support and temporary support — Whether you seek spousal support, also known as alimony, on a permanent or temporary basis, or must pay it, I will seek a fair determination so that divorce doesn’t leave you financially strapped.
Effective family lawyer handles mediation and litigationThe course that your divorce takes will depend on your circumstances. Most couples will first try to work things out in mediation rather than opting to let a judge decide the terms of their divorce. Mediation gives you and your spouse the opportunity to negotiate a divorce settlement in a structured setting through a trained facilitator, in a process that fosters cooperation and removes the unpredictability and uncertainty of litigation. It also often reduces the time and cost of divorce and puts the decisions in your hands. If litigation is necessary to reach just and equitable resolutions to alimony, custody and other matters, I am prepared to advocate on your behalf in court in pursuit of the most favorable outcome.
Contact a skilled MI divorce attorney
At the Law Offices of Matthew A. Courter, P.L.C., in Whitmore Lake, I represent divorcing spouses throughout Southeast Michigan. Call me at 586-206-1349 or contact me online to schedule a free consultation.